Sunday, May 16, 2010

Happy Teachers' Day!

Here's a shoutout to all teachers in Malaysia... "Happy Teachers' Day!" Some say being a teacher is a 'work of heart'. I've been in the profession for quite a while, and believe me, I can't stress enough of the truth in this statement.

Teachers do not just teach, we educate. Teaching is easy, but educating can prove to be quite the challenge. Anyone can teach, but only teachers who are passionate about their job can educate a child. Alongside parents, teachers are given the noble responsibility to shape young minds, help them find their goals in life and guide them in every possible way to grow up as a wholesome and responsible individual. This is the ultimate mission of a teacher, but as many in the country have rightly pointed out, education in Malaysia today puts too much emphasis on intellectual excellence, so much so that personal and spiritual development takes a backseat. Many teachers go to class just to impart intellectual knowledge, but have little regard of the welfare of their students, or the personal struggles they go through.

Despite this, I have had the good fortune to come across many teachers who are still passionate about their job and care enough for their students to guide and advise them about matters beyond the curriculum. They have taken the road less travelled. These teachers are truly inspirational, and remind me that all hope is not lost. They motivate me to be a better teacher each day, not just to impart knowledge to my charges, but also be a good role model to them. Even though I need to be firm and authoritative in class, I allow myself to be approachable enough for students who need a listening ear. Many students in my school come from broken or dysfunctional families, or are too shy to discuss their problems with their parents, so teachers become the next best source of advice or guidance. If teachers do not show them the way, who will? Without anyone to guide them, they might end up making the wrong decisions in life. And if nobody cares enough to reprimand them for their misbehaviour, they will grow up to be broken individuals.

So, I'm thankful for all the teachers who have guided and educated me throughout my school years. Now, as a teacher myself, I always keep them in mind, giving the best that I can to my students, to carry on this tough yet fulfilling profession. What can be more exciting to know that you helped shape the mind of the future Prime Minister of Malaysia, or a future doctor or architect, or for that matter, any ordinary person who makes this country a better place to live in?

To all educators, have a happy Teacher's Day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment